The Baconarium Difference
Our gourmet, artisan thick-cut bacon is made from organic, ethically raised heritage breed pork, wild boar, or pasture raised non-heritage breed pork. We craft each batch of bacon by hand, dry cure and smoke it using only the finest spices, herbs, and hardwoods, and ship it to you uncooked and fresh, never frozen. Because it is dry cured, it can be unrefrigerated for up to 5 days. We create 9 different varieties of bacon throughout the year, many of which you can't find anywhere else. You can taste the difference!
At The Baconarium, we believe that if you're going to make bacon, you should make it right.
Here's how we do that!
- All of our pasture raised pork and pasture raised heritage breed pork is sourced from family farms across the US that commit to ethically and humanely raise and care for their heritage (in our case, Berkshire and Duroc) breed pigs. We also source wild boar (Russian Razorback) from Texas and Canada. No added chemicals, no miserable living conditions for the pigs, just the best quality of life that the farms can provide--100% organic, vegetarian diets, outdoor space to roam around in, no antibiotics, growth hormones, or animal byproducts. They process the bellies, slice the skin off, and ship 'em to us. Side note--your run of the mill grocery store doesn't sell heritage breed or wild boar bacon, but sells chemically stuffed bacon made from factory raised pigs.
- As soon as we receive a shipment of pork/boar bellies, we begin making the bacon!
- We create either a dry rub or semi-dry rub using our proprietary mixes of ingredients, coat the pork belly with it, and let it cure in the refrigerator for anywhere from 7-14 days (variations in the cure ingredients and curing time based on which particular variety of bacon we're making).
- After the curing process is complete, we cold smoke the bacon with hardwood at a temperature of <100° for anywhere from 4 to 24 hours, depending on the particular variety.
- Once the smoking is complete, we let the bacon sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to let the smoke even out through the meat and firm up the consistency.
- After the meat has firmed up, we slice it! We use a deli slicer and slice all of our bacon thick in short, sandwich length slices
- Once it's sliced, we package it up, put it in the refrigerator overnight, and ship it the next day.
Start to finish, from when we first get the pork bellies to when we ship out the finished product to our customers, it takes 11-18 days.
We never use liquid smoke or inject our bacon with chemicals, and never freeze or cook the bacon. What you get is always fresh handmade bacon that was made to order less than a week ago!
This is ultra premium gourmet bacon, folks. From the type of meat we use and how it was raised, to the way we turn it into bacon, it's not much like the stuff you buy in stores at all, except for the name. Given the type of bacon and what goes into making it, we stand by our bacon and firmly believe it is far superior to any commercial bacon you can buy at a grocery store.